AN ALTERNATIVE FOR A WORLD IN CRISIS: THE ROJAVA REVOLUTION, KURDISH FREEDOM MOVEMENT, AND PROSPECTS FOR SOUTH AFRICA’S INCOMPLETE LIBERATION
Rohash Shexo is a member of the Kongra Star women’s organisation of Rojava and Northern Syria, and sits on the diplomacy committee of the Kurdish Women’s Movement. She will focus primarily on the anti-patriarchal aspects of the Rojava Revolution, Democratic Confederalism and the struggle for women’s liberation and gender equality.
Ercan Ayboga, co-author of the book “Revolution in Rojava” (published by Pluto Press in 2016 and in German with the support of the Rosa Luxemburg Foundation), is an environmental engineer and activist and is politically involved in the Mesopotamian Ecology Movement, particularly in water struggles. He will focus primarily on the ecological aspects of the Rojava Revolution and Democratic Confederalism.
Both speakers will address the praxis of autonomy and radical participatory democracy in the Kurdish Freedom Movement and Rojava Revolution and the interconnectedness of all three of the principles on which they are based: democracy, women’s liberation and ecology.
- Feb 29 2020, 11:00-13:00 at The Forge (87 De Korte Street, Braamfontein): Public seminar co-hosted with The Forge – speakers Dale McKinley (ILRIG), Rohash and Ercan.
- Feb 29 2020, 14:00-16:30 at Khanya College (5th Floor, House of Movements): Mass meeting of students, youth and casual workers Co- hosted with Khanya College – speakers Dale McKinley (ILRIG), Rohash and Ercan.
- Mar 1 2020, 13:30-15:30 at Orange Farm Human Rights Advice Centre (Orange Farm, Driezek Extension): Public seminar co-hosted with Orange Farm Human Rights Advice Centre – speakers Dale McKinley (ILRIG), Rohash and Ercan.
- Mar 2 2020, 17:30-19:30 at the Graduate Studies Seminar Room, South-West Engineering Building, Wits University East Campus: Public seminar co-hosted with the Society, Work and Politics Institute (SWOP) – speakers Dale (ILRIG), Rohash and Ercan.
- Mar 4 2020, 16:00-18:30 at the University of KwaZulu-Natal SH10: Public seminar co-hosted with the Centre for Civil Society (CCS) – speakers Leila (ILRIG), Rohash and Ercan.
- Mar 5 2020, 18:00 at 0 Nuttall Road, Observatory: Public seminar co-hosted with the Environmental Monitoring Group (EMG) on Ecology, Democratic Confederalism and Rojava.
- Mar 6 2020, 10:30-15:00 at Community House, Salt River: Workshop.
- Mar 7 2020 at the District 6 Homecoming Centre: Input by Rohash and Ercan at the Commons Festival.
- Mar 9 2020, 10:00-16:00 at the university currently known as Rhodes: Workshop co-hosted with the Neil Aggett Labour Studies Unit – speakers Shawn (ILRIG), Lucien van der Walt, Ercan and Rohash.